The Gainesville Daily Times' first issue came off a second hand flat-bed press in a former funeral home on a Sunday morning, Jan. 26, 1947. While there were doubts at times that first issue would make it, The Times' presses have never missed a run since.
The newspaper, founded by Charles and Lessie Smithgall, started with about 3,000 circulation, climbing to about 4,000 before the year was out. Today's circulation is 26,000.
As computers came to the newspaper industry and offset printing technology improved, The Times began planning a new facility, acquiring property on North Green Street across from the post office.
A new offset press was installed in the new building and the first paper printed on it was April 27, 1970. The building was dedicated on July 4 of that year.
The newspaper was sold to Gannett Co. Inc. in 1981 and by the next year, Gannett has expanded the press to accommodate printing of USA Today for parts of the Southeast.
In 2004, The Times was acquired by Morris Multimedia Inc., a Georgia-based company that is one of the largest privately held media organizations in the United States. The company was founded by Charles H. Morris in Savannah in 1970.
Today, through both The Times and gainesvilletimes.com, the newspaper remains committed to the same ideals as those of its founders. The newspaper strives each day to provide quality coverage of the news of the day, with a particular focus on Northeast Georgia.